If you’ve ever tried to get verified on Instagram or Facebook, you know how difficult and time-consuming the process can be.
In the past, the only way to get verified has been to meet a set of strict requirements, including having a large following and having a number of press features. But all that is about to change.
Last month, Meta (Instagram & Facebook’s parent company) announced that they’re rolling out a new verification subscription service called Meta Verified. Through this subscription, they’ve promised to make the verification process easier and more accessible.
While this option is not yet available in the U.S., it could make a big difference for authors and personal brands who are looking to grow their following. Here’s what you need to know ahead of its release.
What is Meta Verified?
Meta Verified is a new service that will allow users to apply for verification directly from Instagram or Facebook. Already rolling out in Australia and New Zealand, the monthly subscription is available for (USD) $11.99 on the web and (USD) $14.99 on iOS and Android.
Right now, all personal accounts can submit their verification request through the app and receive a response within a few days. The verification subscription service is still in its early stages, and Instagram is testing it with a small group of users. It’s not clear when the service will be available to all users or if the price will change.
How Does the Verification Subscription Work?
As of now, the verification subscription process seems to be relatively simple:
- Sign up for the verification subscription through Instagram or Facebook.
- Fill out the verification request form, including your name, username, and a copy of your government-issued ID.
- Submit the verification request and wait for a response. Instagram typically responds within a few days, and you’ll receive an email confirming whether your request was approved or denied.
- If your request is approved, you’ll receive a blue checkmark next to your username, indicating that you’re verified. This will remain as long as the monthly fee is paid.
It’s important to note that the verification subscription does not guarantee that your request will be approved. Instagram still has strict requirements for verification, and you’ll need to meet those requirements to be approved.
What are the Benefits of Meta Verified?
The verification subscription offers several benefits to users who want to get verified. Here are some of the most significant advantages:
- More Accessible: This subscription makes verification more accessible to users who may not meet the original requirements. If you’re a small business owner or content creator who doesn’t have a large following, the subscription may be a good option for you.
- Faster Verification: Users can submit their request directly from the app and receive a response within a few days. This is much faster than the traditional verification process, which can take weeks or even months.
- Affordable: The verification subscription is relatively affordable compared to the cost of hiring a third-party verification service or spending money on advertising to increase your following.
- Additional Support: Meta has also promised a higher level of support and access to their Customer Service team as a Meta Verified subscriber.
- More Protection: The subscription will provide additional protection against impersonating accounts – an issue that continues to grow online.
While Meta Verified isn’t currently available for business accounts, that is part of their long-term strategy.
This subscription announcement seems to be an exciting new option, specifically for those who are looking to grow their platforms and personal brands. While Meta Verified doesn’t guarantee that every request will be approved, it does provide a faster, more straightforward way to apply for verification.
We’ll keep you updated as this new offering rolls out in more locations soon!